As the creator of a type of movement with 10+ years as a yoga teacher, personal trainer, massage therapist and energy healer, I have had conversations with hundreds, maybe thousands, of people about how to get into a regular exercise routine. I’ve summed up my advice on how to get off the couch and back into your body with these two words.
Be patient as your mind flash floods with questions like:
With whom? What kind of movement? Where? When? How often? How long each time? Should I be at my peak heart rate? What should I wear? Do I need special equipment?
You know these questions. While it's good to have a logical plan, be careful not to let your thoughtful lingering be disguising procrastination and avoidance. Make it simple in your mind and take some time today to look at ways that you can simply just move.
Here's a quick menu of suggestions.
- Take a walk around somewhere beautiful. Invite a friend to come with you so you can walk and talk.
- Take a class that has caught your attention but, for whatever reason, you haven't made it there yet. Go now. Maybe Qoya?
- Make one social date today around movement and consciously plan more of your social life around movement: go to yoga class together before you meet for dinner, take a walk after work, hike a mountain on the weekend, take a weekend trip to kayak a river…you get the picture. Just move (daily)!
For those of you interested in finding a movement system or more regular fitness schedule, my most sincere advice are these three must know tips:
- Pick something where you like the subculture (outfits, language, people it draws, community, etc.) because the second you get busy, bored, sick, or just apathetic, you won't go. The sense of community or draw of the subculture will keep you coming back when your motivation is low.
- Find something you genuinely enjoy. If you aren't having fun, you won't stick with it and -- by the way -- you shouldn't. There is so much fun to be had in movement; this is not another obligation to add to the list. Sample the full range of movement activities until you find the one that sings to you. In addition to your Qoya routines, maybe try to salsa dance, walk around a peaceful lake, paddle board surfing down a river (a new favorite of mine), pole dance (an old favorite of mine). Experiment with ways to move your body that feel good.
- When you make your movement schedule, do it post-workout. When you're already enjoying the pleasant buzz in your body, your breath steadily going in and out, increased mental clarity, your body pulsing, and a high level of awareness -- that’s when you want to pencil in your next movement session.
The liberating part of JUST MOVE is that while having a movement practice and doing it in community is fun, those things are not necessary. When you need movement the most is when you are going to feel like it the least.
Let me say that again, when you need movement the most is when you are going to feel like it the least.
A lot of people think the only way we can exercise is in a specialized environment. Not true! The only thing you need to move your body is your body.
So, for you and your body, here is your exercise for today.
Pick any song you like and just move.
Start circling through your body. Circle a couple times to the right, then a couple times to the left. Circle your feet.......... hips....................... rib cage.... shoulders................... wrists...................
With each circle, pay more attention to the sensations of your body. Breathe into your movement and enjoy the simplicity of just moving.
To move along with a video, join me here.
So, right now, after you’ve done your five minutes of circling and already a feel a little lighter, a little brighter- schedule a walk, make a date to explore that class you're curious about, or call that friend you miss and make your plan around movement.
It's so simple. Just Move.
Qoya was mentioned in a great article on the 4th of July titled Sexy Workouts: 3 ways to add fireworks to your fitness regimen. Then another article popped up on July 5th from a more skeptical writer asking for input from anyone who has been to class. Chime in here!
Hope you had a beautiful 4th of July. Would love to have you join us for a Qoya immersion in Woodstock over Labor Day weekend. Also, we are coming up on our July 15th deadline for the India Retreat. Reach out to me if you're interested and I'll be happy to answer any questions. We’d love to have you.
Move today and let me know on our facebook page how it goes!
With gratitude and love,